Monday, May 6, 2013

Semper Fi

Semper Fi

When you see an elderly gentleman at a public place and he is wearing a military baseball cap, it is a sure sign that he most likely served his country during one of our wars. If he has a cane, looks to be in his 80’s, and is accompanied by several younger adults, it is a good bet he served during World War II.

When this happens, approach him. Ask him when he served. Then shake his hand and thank him. It may not seem like much to you, but it will mean the world to the old man.

This happened Saturday night when I was having drinks with some old friends from my home town. I noticed him immediately, since I was facing the entrance. He was tiny, hunched, shuffling with the aid of a cane and a man who was most likely his grandson. I know this because the “younger” man looked to be about my age or a little younger.

It wasn’t the fact that he was old that caught my attention. It was the red baseball cap, bearing an eagle, globe and anchor. This might not mean much to most people, but it practically screamed at me. My friends noticed and laughed; I apologized and told them I’d need to speak with this man before he finished his dinner and they sweetly said they understood. I just knew, before asking, that this gentleman had served with the United States Marine Corps during WWII.

In these types of social settings, one doesn’t want to come across as rude or pushy. I didn’t want to intrude on his dinner or time with the young family who had brought him out (the “grandson” had a wife and two young kids with them). It was just impossible not to see my own Grandfather in him and having grown up seeing the Marine Corps emblem daily on things around our home I could NOT at least say “Semper Fi” to him. It means “always faithful” and is the creed of the Marine Corps.

I waited until returning from a bathroom visit and approached by bending down and looking up at him. I could see his hearing aids, his sagging and aging skin, wrinkles around his eyes which were watery and fuzzy….and when I grabbed his hand gently, it was soft and warm.

I simply said “I couldn’t help but notice your cap…..when did you serve, if I might ask?”

He responded in a quiet and quivering voice, “World War II”.

I asked if he was in the Pacific theater, and he said yes. I then asked where; he replied with the names of a few far lesser known islands. I told him my Grandfather had been with the First Division, 7th Regiment and he said he had been with the 4th. When I said that my Grandfather had fought on Okinawa he closed his eyes briefly and nodded his head. Most people don’t know that the loss of American life on the island of Okinawa was the largest of any battle during the war.

I was having a hard time hearing him and he me; the music in the bar & grill was loud and he was hard of hearing to begin with. At one point, the wife of the grandson (I don’t KNOW that it was his grandson, but I’m assuming) yelled loudly at him, the way we sometimes do when exaggerating back at someone who keeps saying “WHAT?” I was surprised at my initial response. I wanted to smack her for yelling at him. In hindsight, I’m sure she wasn’t trying to be mean.

I asked him where he had gone to boot camp, San Diego or Parris Island? Only a Marine would understand that question. He responded “San Diego”, whereupon I was able to tell him I had the honor of visiting the US Marine Recruit Depot fairly recently in honor of my grandfather.

We squeezed hands once more as I thanked him for his service and for allowing me to intrude on his evening, then returned to the table to enjoy my friends. A short while later, their group got up to leave and as he carefully walked by me, the old man reached down and shook my hand again, thanking me for approaching him. I said “Semper Fi” as they walked away and the Grandson looked at me and said “Thank you. You have made his night!” To which I responded “No, he made MY night.”

Since then, I’ve kicked myself, wishing I had asked him more questions….or even seeing if he’d mind it if I interviewed him. At a minimum, I wish I had asked the grandson if anyone in the family has written down his story. Over 1,000 WWII veterans die per day. This reality hit home for me when the last surviving World War I Veteran passed away two years ago. Eventually, there won’t be any more of them to interview. The same will happen with the Korean Veterans and the Viet Nam Veterans.

My message today is this: don’t miss these opportunities, be it an active duty military person passing you in a Wal Mart, a man in his late fifties/early sixties with a military cap on, or an elderly gentleman walking with the aid of a cane in a restaurant. I know, without having to ask, that the old man I spoke to this past weekend lost at least one friend during the hell of WWII. Statistics on Marines serving in the Pacific at that time practically scream it. Every United States serviceman or woman who has served in the military put on a uniform that represented our country and they all did it knowing at some point they might be asked to risk their lives at the behest of America. They have earned a simple “thank you”. It takes no time and means more to them than we could ever know. You’ll feel pretty good yourself after doing it.

Semper Fi. To receive posts from Gemini Journey please email "subscribe" to geminijourneyblog@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, Marlys. Old veterans often approached me when I was in uniform to say "thank you" for my service...but it was me who was honored by theirs. I enjoy speaking to these men and women who served before me, and went through so much more than I did. I didn't get to speak to my Great Uncle's who served in Europe during World War II, as Uncle Earl Hussong passed away in 1994 before I knew he served, and my Uncle Merrill Hussong had Alzheimer's when I found out he went ashore during D-Day, and passed away in 2000.

    Their stories deserve to be told, and I am grateful Uncle Earl's wife did document his service in a family book before he passed, but I still need to borrow it from my Uncle Vince and make a copy.

    By the way, I'm glad your Grandfather got to see HIS memorial in D.C., and tell him I said "Thank You" for saving our country all those years ago. Your Grandparents raised a remarkable Grand-daughter, and I thank you for sharing this important ritual of appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, you are so very kind. There's a part of me that sometimes thinks it might have been different for the WWII generation....the lines were so clear, the immediate cost of not serving so blatant. For our current men and women in uniform, the world has changed so much. Technology has altered everything, from the way information fans flames to the weapons they have to face.

      Regardless of the state of our global community, the power that keeps the U.S. safe are our men and women in uniform. Thank YOU for your service....your uncles....all of those men and women buried in Arlington and around the world. My sister is in the Navy and I think our family often takes for granted the fact she isn't serving in a danger zone. Strong Americans like you keep the message out there!

      Also, SO glad to hear that your uncle's story was documented. That is the danger - with the older vets dying by the day, coupled with old age (dementia/alzhemiers/etc) taking away their memories, these stories are also disappearing. Before long, it will be the same with Vietnam vets, who haven't been as encouraged to tell their stories and who are no less deserving or worthy of the same adoration we show the WWII vets. "We Were Soldiers Once and Young" is one of my favorite Vietnam books....have you read it? Many men left the jungles of Viet Nam and have done amazing things. Rick Rescorla is an example....

      I have a feeling you and I could talk for hours about this stuff, lol! Thanks for reading and for your very kind words! I'll pass your message on to my grandfather. Take care!

      Marlys

      Delete
    2. Marlys, you and I are on the same page! I agree 100% with the dangers of losing valuable information and lessons from previous conflicts, as well as today's.

      I have read, and own, "We Were Soldiers Once...And Young" and know the story well. LTG (ret.) Hal Moore and Joe Galloway, did an great job and real service to those who served and died at Ia Drang Valley, and throughout the war. In 2004, my MEDEVAC company was mobilized and deployed stateside to replace the 490th Medical Company (Air Ambulance) at Ft. Benning, Georgia, and the hanger next to ours was used in the making of the movie "We Were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson. Funny thing, we had UH-1 Huey helicopters at the time, which is what that Battalion was first issued back then, which I remarked to a buddy of mine, "Hey, we are now up to 1965 technology!" lol Those were the good times, but they now have UH-60 Blackhawks and are finishing their tour in Afghanistan. Wish I could be with them, but that's just the way it's been for me.

      Anyway, I'm glad you care and are doing your part to share their stories. I could talk about this stuff for hours, too, and maybe someday I'll make a trip back to Kansas and we can compare notes! Take care, and thank you for your support of our Veterans and all who serve.

      Gary

      Delete